Thursday, December 05, 2013

The Daily Lives of High School Idiots.


I hardly know where to begin with this one. After a long time of listening to otto and Yasu talk a lot about it, I finally decided to watch 男子高校生の日常 aka Daily Lives of High School Boys. I have to say that this anime is a lot more than I ever thought it would be. There's... a lot to it, and there's a lot to take in, but we're going to try to break down first impressions, mid-season thoughts, common thoughts, and final decree.

I first saw screencaps and gif sets on tumblr, and I was pretty curious about what it was about. The photos were always funny, I thought, and a few of them were ridiculously relatable. Finally, Yasu and otto watched it, and they continued to laugh about it. I decided that I would watch it; I just had no idea when.



First Impressions.
Hey, why didn't anyone tell me Square Enix had a hand in this madness? Oh no! How am I going to make it past the first episode? These idiots! These idiots are...!


Mid-Season.
As everything continued on, I continued to enjoy it. The anime does bring a lot of laughs. Sometimes, the laugh comes from second-hand embarrassment or shock. Of which, there are a lot of moments. There are still some parts I'm holding out for because of what I've seen on tumblr or what I've been told, but I haven't reached them yet. It's amusing to me that 98% of the girls in the show don't have eyes. They have shadowy eye syndrome, so it takes a lot of their identity away.

Sadly, one of the main boys does get less screen time than the others. That's a shame, because he balances out the main trio you see. His inability to keep up with their constant antics is, personally, hilarious to me, and without it, I just feel like there's a notable absence of some normality.


Common Thoughts
At the end of the episodes, I can't say when it starts, there's something called High School Girls are Funky. I hate... it. There's only one girl out of them that's mostly normal. All of the other girls have intense personalities. Way too intense. They're completely wild and crazy. And even in the show, some of the girls (mostly the sisters actually) are intense and shrill. I can't stand their high pitched, grating, scratching voices. 

While I do find Daily Lives very, very, funny, sometimes its humour comes way out of left field for me, and I don't feel uncomfortable per se. I guess I just feel lost. It has moments where it's not funny, just incredibly strange. They're common enough to note, but not frequent enough to ruin the overall taste of the show.


Final Decree.
Watch it. Watch it. It's pretty good fun. All in all, it's a really good anime to sit back and enjoy, especially if you're watching it with someone else. Even now, I still have that ending theme song stuck in my head. Anything I ever thought about the anime (as far as the really weird bits) never discouraged me from continuing it. I did have to take a lot of breaks because Danshisei (as I like to abbreviate it) can be overloading in its humour - in a good way, I assure you.

Danshisei is filled with random, fourth-wall-breaking, sometimes incredibly relatable "I've been there" humour. If that's your flavour or are willing to watch something different for a change, Daily Lives of High School Boys aka 男子高校生の日常 is a good choice to go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts; I'd love to hear 'em.