Friday, October 18, 2013

GDR Book Club. Pretend You Don't See Her


Another library bought classic. I say "classic", but. This book is by another female author named Mary Higgins Clark. As you can see, I bought this book with no cover, so to understand it's plot, you'd have to read this. Or read my overview of what it was about.

There's a woman named Lacey Farrell who lives in the busy city of Manhattan, New York as a realtor. Things tumble out of control when she's showing off a co-op for a possible buyer. One thing leads to another, and she ends up being a witness to a murder. A very interesting pretense for a book. In the forward, Mrs. Clark expressed how much research she put into learning about the process of being put into witness protection as well as the legal jargon that goes along with it. Very good, very believable. You not only follow Lacey; you follow her mother, sister, and brother-in-law's family. You follow Jimmy Landi; Ed Salone and Nick Mars, two NYPDs on the case; and you follow the murderer who's hunting Ms. Lacey down.

I feel... rather empty about the book. The book is 65 chapters in total, a few are remarkably shorter than the others. I cruised through 40-something chapters all last night, and I just. I'm not sure how to feel. The book is a good read, definitely. I don't feel excited or moved; I hardly even find the conclusion satisfactory. I just... read it, you know. I felt driven enough to finish this, but in return, I was only given mixed feelings. I'm not sure how much I enjoyed the book. I feel mildly indifferent, in a confusing way. It wasn't bad by any means; I just feel at a loss.

Why don't you check it out and give me your feedback. I'd love to know if the same mixing feelings stir and swell in your cores as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts; I'd love to hear 'em.