Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Let's Watch: "Tekken: Blood Vengeance".



That was a great movie. Honestly, I was blown away.

First of all, they did something amazing by utilizing their graphics the way the did. It's "3D", but not in the marketing way that it is today. It's 3D animation, and I could not have been more impressed. Everything was smooth and flawless. The acting? Ah, superb.

It stays very true to the game itself, the plot line, and in introducing the new game. Whenever games make movies, I always find something awkward or uneasy about the cinematics, but this was basically just one long in-game cutscene. That's how "natural" it is, or rather how seamless it all fits in. The comedy is well-timed in this movie, and Jin is still one aloof motherfucker. The Mishima-Kazama family battle/internal hatred reigned supreme, and it actually gives you a better look at how Jin runs things in the Zaibatsu and what's going down in G Corp.

I wish they could have added more of the characters from the game, but that would have been a wild production. If they did add one more person, like Hwoarang, I think it would have added a lot of complicated subplot, but I'm not sure. Because with Alisa and Shin, they actually did a great job integrating their subplot in with the main point.

Honestly, there's no reason to fear this game's movie. If you grew up with Tekken like I did or even if you're not a fan of the game, I think you can appreciate it for one of many things. The graphics. The natural involvement of the surroundings. In this I mean that nothing was overhyped. The force exerted on a wall, or the amount of steps taken over a dirt road were reflected in such a way that even if they were exaggerated, it compliments what's happening in the scene.

The acting, and I cannot stress this enough. Sometimes, I run even into the most successful of game-movies that make me cringe with its awkward acting, especially at critical moments. DoA didn't really do that, and neither did this movie. Mortal Kombat didn't have those moments either (thankfully).
This movie looks new and feels new, and I think it's good publicity for this long running game. There's nothing tired out or overdone in this movie, and Alisa was well done herself. She's an AI trying to get ahold of human life, and her story isn't fully developed because it's not completely about her. What is even better is that her story is developed enough through the movie that you know enough about her, but you're curious enough to want to figure her out like everyone else.

Nina and Anna, I cannot get enough of those two. Their rivalry, love and hatred for each other keeps them as interesting focal points. You never really get tired of them. Nina shows up sparsely, but she always has something important to do, and Anna makes you feel like a spy. If you hate her, you don't want to be around her, but she says and does important things that attribute to the story.

Overall, this movie? A five out of five. Ten out of ten. 100% and bonus points. I am really impressed. Heads over heels even. I will gladly buy this movie, and I look forward to the bonus material.

If you have a moment, check it out. It does help if you know a sizable chunk of the in-game history, but even still, it's a great thing to sit down and just appreciate as the good movie it is.

I would recommend going to see this movie. (5 out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts; I'd love to hear 'em.