Wednesday, January 15, 2014

2014 So Far: A Month in Anime


Happy new year, as late as I am to say it. This year has kicked off into a pretty heavy month of anime for me. I've been trying to get back into some old favours, so I'm reading books that I bought during and started before my trip. The games that I'm really into are on hold or are being dragged into forever. So what have I been watching? I'll try to get to the quick of everything.



Ergo Proxy
This show came out in 2006, and I've had some great expectations of it. The animation looked beautiful, and the main character Re-l looked wonderful and bad ass and just, wow. Before I watched the anime, I was already really into it. Upon watching it and finishing everything, I have to say that I've honestly never been left in such a spiraling state of confusion, disappointment, and minor excitement in all my life. It's hard to describe, but this anime is a perfect balance of good and evil. It's not what I wanted whatsoever, but it gave me something interesting to work with. On one hand, I completely understand the anime and everything it offered. On the other hand, the execution and actually watching it confused me beyond belief. I loved all of the characters, primarily because I was too confused to hate some of them. It's a pretty good anime though. In what respects, I'm honestly not sure. It's good but not enjoyable and that's as far into it as I'm going to get. Ergo Proxy is a strange cluster of everything, and leaves you feeling nothing.



Gensoumaden Saiyuki
I went back and started rewatching Saiyuki. I'm in bliss! I'm reliving my early years of adoring anime! Saiyuki's art style is so dramatic, and in the early part of the anime, it was rough animation and voice acting wise. I got used to the first cast, and I'm getting used to the new actors in Reload. So far I've watched [Gensoumaden] Saiyuki, Saiyuki Premium OVAs, Saiyuki Requiem, Saiyuki Reload, and Saiyuki Urusai. There's a lot to this series, as you can see, but I'm having a good time. Even though I spend a lot of my time going "His name is Hakkai – not Hawkeye!" and "Why can't you just say the title card?" and "Read your lines, please!", trust me, I'm having a blast and a half. (Don't hold me to that.)



Hoozuki no Reitetsu
Okay, I blame tumblr for this one wholeheartedly. The opening theme song (even the BGM when the narrator's talking in the beginning half) is absolutely my favourite. I'm addicted to it already, and I'm not ashamed of it. Since it is the first episode, I can say that I'm pleasantly entertained by this. Hoozuki, the main character, is a cool headed demon with a lot of eccentricities, you learn. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series. I'm trying not to gain an attachment to it, so let's hope for the best. (For the anime and for our sake)


That's really it on my end! I'll try to be more active, but I'm preparing for something special later on this month. There are some other shows I plan to watch (naturally), and as things unfold this year, I'll at least try to keep you updated on that. I'm currently reading some books, so we'll see which one I end up sharing, if not both.

Thanks for sticking around, and I hope this year has been kind to you. If you're reading, watching, or planning for anything, I'd love to hear it. See you around.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts; I'd love to hear 'em.