Friday, February 03, 2017

REC·COMIC·DATIONS • Long Exposure


I've been gone for a while, but this time, I have an excuse! One: I've launched a Patreon. It had a kind of soft/quiet launch, so I haven't promoted it past twitter and (kind of) tumblr. Second: I've started a new series! That's right, my dear friends. GDR finally has a new series called Rec·Comic·Dations, in which I talk about comics (print and online) that I enjoy. No negativity, just good ol' goodness. So let's jump into this first one.

Long Exposure is an ongoing webcomic about a nerd and a bully who are forced to work on a class project together. The story revolves around them developing super powers after an incident at a strange research center, and finding themselves followed by a mysterious car, overcoming personal challenges, and (most importantly) discovering how gay they are for each other.

Comic tags: Drama, LGBT, Superpowers
Stats as of writing: In Progress – Currently on Ch 3 Pgs 81-87

Long Exposure starts off at Sellwood High School where we meet our protagonist Jonas, his clique of 'nerds', that lovable doucherod Mitchell, and his ragtag gang of bullies. Mitchell is a textbook bully. He dresses tough; he gives flagpole atomic wedgies; he threatens authority. He's all crooked grins and sleeveless shirts. He's hard rock, dear friends! Don't mess with this guy. Jonas has been on Mitchell's radar since middle school, the poor guy.

Jonas just wants to stay out of Mitchell's way and get through school, but fate (and academia) does not allow such a thing! Mr. Newman is assigning projects at his class. Jonas arrives late, and his project partner ends up being Mitchell. Oh, how cruel the high school life can be.

I love this comic because it has a rich set of characters. The bullies aren't quite what you expect them to be (though one of them is the human equivalent of a rabid squirrel), and there's something about Mitchell that reminds me of a childhood bully that became one of my good friends (still not entirely sure how that happened). By now in the story, the two have their superpowers and things haven't got intense yet.

However, with Mitchell's reckless and unpredictable behaviour, I expect for things to get really intense. Jonas is, of course, someone who wants to get through his day to day with as little drama as possible, but getting tangled up with Mitchell is going to make his life a lot more complicated.

When it comes to the art, I love the expressiveness of all the characters. Everyone has personality, and they don't even have to say anything for you to really understand who they're about. I love and respect that a lot. As far as the romantic leanings, there are hints of tension, but nothing that's incredibly overt right now. It's building up in that direction, and if you're interested, I highly suggest you check it out.

Long Exposure
Read on Tapastic Official Website
Official Playlist Fan Blog


mars (artist)
Support on Patreon.Follow on twitter.
Art Tumblr



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts; I'd love to hear 'em.