Saturday, August 08, 2015

Rotatio: Just Keep Spinning



Let's talk about this new game I'm really into. It's called, very simply, Rotatio.

I'm always in the market for more mobile games. I'm always wandering around with my iPad, and I have a terrible case of idle hands. I think I found a game that's frustratingly good enough to keep me occupied.

The game is very simple. You just need to pass your ball through each gap to clear the stage. The catch to that is that the ball moves pretty quickly. There are balls on either side of the gap that will cause you to fail if you touch them. Even if you pass them, they linger for a second or two, so be careful not to hit them during this time as well.


The music easily gets you into the zone. If you don't want to hear it, you can disable it on the main menu [pictured above]. What can I say? This game is really cool! Again, the premise and execution are very simple, but don't let that lure you into a false sense of security. The game is very high paced from the get go. Don't be surprised if you make a few mistakes starting off.

This game both relaxes and frustrates me. I know that that's an oxymoron, if not just straight up contradictory, but it works out in the end. The game's rounds can pass by rather quickly, forcing me to push on and go forward. At the same time, I need a break after ten minutes of intense level grinding. It's that deep. There is a built in exploit to the game that I won't tell you about. I'm sure you'll be able to quickly figure it out on your own though.

To its own extents, this should be called "Micromanagement: The Game". Every little move you makes slides you about on the rod and can increase your own pacing. You've to be careful where you move and for how long as that can severely alter your timing. It's a challenging game by its own inherent right, but you, as the player, can make it more so.

While I do enjoy the game, here are some things that I've noticed. The "downs" of the game, if I can really call them that. One of them is that you can't access the main menu from the score screen. You have to go back into the game, pause it, and press the menu icon. It's not difficult, but it feels a bit out of the way.

Another is that the ranking icon doesn't work from the score menu. I haven't tried it from the main menu yet. The star takes you back to the app store. I believe that's for reviewing + leaving good marks.

I like this game. It's brutal, unforgiving, and remembers a time when games were hard. I'm not very good at it right now, but I'm definitely getting the hang of it all. I recommend you guys play it. If you do, feel free to share your score!

Rotatio is free and available on the App Store for iPad + iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts; I'd love to hear 'em.