Saturday, January 04, 2014

A Trip to The Distillery in Savannah


Towards the tail end of my trip, Andy and I went to The Distillery, which wasn't too far of a walk from the museum. It was about to rain hard, and it was getting dark, but a good, solid meal before walking back to our side of town never sounded like a better idea.

Honestly, I really liked the atmosphere. It was hearty and full of people. It felt alive in its own way. What made it better was that they had some black and white shows on (mostly The Three Stooges), so I was really having a good time. The waitress was a tall, lanky little thing, but she was really chill to talk to and pretty prompt with our drinks.

Our food, though, took a while to get to us. It took about an hour or so? Andy and I were watching The Three Stooges, and it was about two or three episodes before we finally got our food. We were hardly keeping track of the time, but it's a bad sign when your patrons start to get really tired. When we got our food, it looked amazing. Andy got the Hard-Hearted Hannah, and I got the Prohibition Po' Boy.



I was incredibly disappointed.

The PPB was 49% bread. There were four jumbo shrimp and some lettuce. There was a little, itty-bitty-bit of sauce or condiments, and overall, it was just a dry, tasteless, separated let down. And expensive too. It was $14, which for the most part is a big, ol' no. Chewing it, I could taste each ingredient separated from each other; it wasn't a united dish. It was dry because of all the bread. The best part about it was the fact that there was the battered shrimp, which on its own was good, but even then, it still lacked interesting flavour.

And I tried to make it better with hot sauce, ketchup, salt, pepper, something. It was just a dry travesty. There was absolutely no saving it. I finished as much as I could of it, and the fries helped. They were really good. I told our waitress, and the look on her face was basically "I've heard it all before". She said that people usually complain about the Po' Boy, especially the bread, but then started to talk about the grievance of buying local shrimp and how that brings up the cost.

That wasn't my problem. My problem was that there was too much bread, and the whole dish was flavourless. The price alone isn't made up of just the shrimp, and if it is, you should just serve the shrimp. I didn't say that last bit, but I did go on to say that the dish wasn't good whatsoever. She nodded her head knowingly and said, "We've talked to the head chef about changing things around and about the complaints, but he won't seem to budge on it." The last part is a bit paraphrased, but that only worsened my confusion. Why would you continue to serve something people complain about? The chef doesn't seem to care, and what's worst, she knew beforehand that the Po' Boy was a problematic menu item. She didn't advise I get something else, and that's a true display of caring about money instead of the customer.

The ending dish was dessert, and it was a moonpie. It was my first ever moonpie, and god, it was the most delicious thing ever. It took about 15 minutes, if that, to get to us, and it was fantastic. Andy and I split one. Oh man, it was pretty intense all around. I wish there was more ice cream to balance it out, but I'm so happy with that. Andy had a great sandwich; the moonpie was fantastic, but my issue was that expensive Prohibition Po' Boy, and the fact that money was unnecessarily wasted.

I'll feel hesitation about going to The Distillery in the future, honestly, but if someone invited me to  dessert there, I would probably rush over, no questions asked.

2 comments:

  1. Awww the food looks so good in the pictures! I'm sorry it sucked :/

    xo, N
    www.natashasolae.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I'm glad that the moonpie wasn't a total loss.
      I wish it wasn't expensive as it was or something. Ah well.

      Delete

Share your thoughts; I'd love to hear 'em.